Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake Recipe:
This is a staple recipe for me; it is super quick and easy to make (as per!) and can be whatever shape you like! This recipe is the perfect amount for a 2lb loaf tin or as a sponge tray bake, but I’m sure it’ll work just as well in a small cake tin or cupcakes- the choice is yours!
For the Sponge:
- 40g Poppy Seeds
- 185ml Milk
- the Zest of 1 Lemon
- 200g Butter, room temperature
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 300g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
You can easily find these ingredients on Amazon.com
For the Lemon Icing:
- 385g Icing Sugar
- The Juice of 1.5 lemons
- 20g Butter, melted
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Preheat the Oven to 180°C/160°C fan.
- Warm the milk in a microwave or over a double boiler, then add the poppy seeds and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Add all the cake ingredients to a large mixing bowl, including the milk/poppy seed mixture and mix well until fully combined.
- Grease and line your tin of choice, and then pop it into the Oven until lightly golden on top! A 2lb loaf tin should take around 40 minutes; my tray bake style took around 30 minutes- which should be the same for a cake tin, while cupcakes should take 15/20, although I’ve not tested them myself, so keep an eye out!.
- Let your cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a cooling rack and allow it to cool fully.
- To make the icing add the melted butter and lemon juice to the icing sugar and mix until fully combined, then pour onto the cooled sponge and sprinkle the lemon zest over the top!.
And you’re done! I used to think baking with poppy seeds could be difficult, but this recipe constantly proves me wrong!
Let me know if you give this recipe, or any others of mine, a go- I’d love to know what you think!
Pin me for later! 🙂 Thank You!
- Fab Flapjack Recipe
- Pret Popcorn Bar Recipe
- Salted Caramel Cups Recipe
- ‘Healthy’ 4 Ingredient Cookies
- Triple Choc Rolo Cookies Recipe
- Cheats Caramel Brownie Recipe
- Summer Berry Cake Recipe
- Raspberry and Almond Loaf Cake Recipe
- Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- Simple Choco Chip Cookie Recipe